Monday, April 21, 2014

Nails So Pretty I Want to Eat Them

Another Easter has come and gone, bringing with it memories of egg hunts and pastel frothy dresses and little baskets full of candy. This year I spent Easter on my own (working, alas) but I wanted some way to get into the Easter Bunny spirit. I love pastel colours but for whatever reason tend to shy away from them in my wardrobe choices. My solution? Manicure time, of course!

Sunday afternoons always bring a certain ennui and occasionally the pre-Monday Blues. Douglas Adams referred to Sunday afternoon as "the long, dark tea-time of the soul." Yesterday it was rainy and gloomy and I could feel the long dark tea-time coming on. I cranked up the heat, turned on NPR and got down to business painting my nails.

Initially I wanted to do some kind of Easter egg nail art that I have been seeing around the web (here and here) but those felt sort of literal and also require some fine dexterity that I do not possess. Instead I opted for three pretty pastel shades and at the last second decided to go over them with a thin coat of gold glitter. The finished product actually reminds me of a box of Laduree macarons, which isn't quite what I intended but I dig it all the same.

Note: my cuticles are totally busted from a very violent manicure I had back around Valentine's Day. They are just now starting to recover so I didn't push them back much. I also keep my nails short for work. Ain't nobody got time for MRSA under their nails, amirite?

Deliberately mismatched too! 

Midi rings by Topshop, crooked lines by Caitlin
I sort of love that you can see my reflection in the Chanel bottle caps. So arty, much skill. 


The base colours are :
Nouvelle Vague by Chanel - discontinued now, try China Glaze's For Audrey and Essie's Turquoise and Caicos
She's Picture Perfect by Essie
Lilac Sky by Chanel

For the gold glitter I used a Revlon polish called Sequins that I received free with a magazine purchase (hence the enormous free sticker on the bottle. I wanted to remove it for the photos but that would mess up my manicure #struggle).

I hope everyone had a happy Easter! How did you treat yourself this weekend?
xo Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment