Thursday, May 1, 2014

Kusadasi Dreaming

In less than a month I'll be lying on a beach in Kusadasi, Turkey partying my cares away. Unfortunately in the meantime I have some pesky schoolwork and even peskier exams to get through. To make the time go faster I've been pinning my favourite summer looks and planning what stories I'll be inventing when my credit card bill arrives. The itinerary for the trip largely revolves around beach time with some bar hopping and sightseeing mixed in, so I need outfits that transition from the beach to the bar easily but leave enough room in my luggage for a few pashminas and harem pants. We're flying on some budget airline that I've never heard of, so I want to fit all my makeup and clothing into a small carryon as well. Shall we explore my packing/wish list?

Beach Lounging
Retro bathing suit styles are really "in" lately but I can't wear them at all. On me they look costume-y and weird, so I tend to stick to a more bohemian aesthetic. Since this trip is to Turkey I'm feeling inspired by images of Istanbul and the Bosphorus to guide me. That means kaftans and big hats with enormous sunglasses. I want to look like a 70s Elizabeth Taylor but with possibly more jewelry.

Here are a few of my favourites:

This Issa kaftan is appropriately called the "Ocean Print Goddess Kaftan." Unfortunately it is slightly out of my price range (694.99EU) but, hey, a girl can dream.

Anyway I'm using this kaftan as a jumping-off point. I love the vibrant colours and the relaxed vibe. I'd prefer a shorter kaftan anyway, I worked hard doing squats and spin class all winter and I want to show off my legs! 

Tunics and bikini by J Crew
Sunglasses: Ted Baker "Biotime" 
Headband: Deepa Gurnani (available at ASOS)
Bracelet: ASOS
Sandals: Stuart Weitzman at Zappos
The tunics will be perfect as beach coverups and then with a pair of denim cutoffs and those divine sandals. I'm in the market for a new salt spray, my current favorite one from Charlotte Ronson has been discontinued and I'm down to my last stockpiled bottle. Hopefully I'll find one in time for Turkey because the babely boho beach girl look is all about artfully tousled waves. I'm tempted by this Kevin Murphy Hair Resort Texturizer because it's a gel rather than a spray so I expect I'd get more even distribution through my hair. Feel free to weigh in on other favorite sea salt sprays!
Also features shimmer. Mermaid Hair?
Today was a particularly rainy gross day and only my upcoming vacations are keeping me going lately. Before Turkey I'll be headed to Tuscany on a five day cycling trip through wine country. Stay tuned for packing updates and wine recommendations. My good friend is a very experienced oenophile (okay, I've been looking for a reason to use that word, sue me) and has been emailing me nonstop with wine recommendations that I can't wait to share. 

Salt spray recommendations? Preferred beach activities? Recommendations for can't-miss Turkey experiences? Weigh in below. 

xo Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment