Thursday, July 31, 2014

That Time I Took The Buzzfeed Clean Eating Challenge, Week 2

Week 2 came and went in a flash! Work was really busy so not every recipe was totally doable for me but I'm very pleased with how it went overall.

Some thoughts:
1. The lack of carbs doesn't seem like a big deal until you try to go for a long run. Then suddenly it feels like all your muscles are shouting, "feed me, pasta, bitch!" And then you cut your long run short.

2. Every recipe can actually be broken down into this formula: lean protein + greens + tomatoes/bell peppers/some other veggie. Once you get the basic formula you can actually play around a little more and make interesting dishes. I wasn't wild on the Tuna in Romaine Cups or the funky lettuce wrap things, but I loved the Roasted Chicken Breast with Quinoa and Kale.

3. I don't think I lost any weight on this challenge, but I do feel like I was making very healthy choices and it's made me more mindful about things like snacking. Now instead of reaching for biscuits or crisps with tea I'm more likely to pick up an apple or cup of berries. Mind-blowing? Not exactly. But I think the challenge got me into the habit of buying large volumes of produce every week which in turn makes you feel guilty when it goes off in the fridge.

4. I've been working nights and I feel like the recipes from the clean eating challenge are giving me enough energy to get through a 12 hour shift with no sleep! I managed to shake my coffee addiction purely because I know that if I have coffee I won't be able to nap once it gets quiet. So thanks, Buzzfeed and my backbreaking call schedule - I'm off coffee!! We'll see how long that lasts.

5. Guys, I really miss writing about beauty. Once nights are over I'm going Project Diva. All the spinach and antioxidants are making my skin look pretty great, now I just need some sleep and I'll be fit for public consumption again.

In summary - do I recommend the Buzzfeed clean eating challenge? Absolutely! It was a great way to hit the "reset" button on my eating habits, it introduced me to some new recipes that I'm excited to keep cooking, and it wasn't as restrictive or rigid as other cleanses so it was totally doable for a newbie like me.

More info on the Clean Eating Challenge here!

xoCaitlinK

No comments:

Post a Comment